Luka Modric wins Ballon d’Or, ends Ronaldo, Messi dominance
Written by MaxFM on December 4, 2018
Real Madrid and Croatia midfielder, Luka Modric, has been named winner of this year’s Ballon d’Or award.
By winning the prize in Paris on Monday night, Modric ends the 10-year duopoly of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
The last player to win the prize apart from Messi and Ronaldo, was Kaka in December 2007.
With five Ballon d’Ors each, their domination began in 2008 with the Portuguese attacker winning as a Manchester United player.
It crowns a big year for Modric, who has already won UEFA Best Player in Europe.
The midfielder led his country to the final of the 2018 World Cup in Russia and has won the last three Champions League titles with Madrid.
— OG_Karo (@Chief_OG_Karo) December 3, 2018
BALLON D’OR LIST IN FULL
- 1. Luka Modric (Real Madrid/CRO)
- 2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Juventus/POR)
- 3. Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid/FRA)
- 4. Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA)
- 5. Lionel Messi (Barcelona/ARG)
- 6. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool/EGY)
- 7. Raphael Varane (Real Madrid/FRA)
- 8. Eden Hazard (Chelsea/BEL)
- 9. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City/BEL)
- 10. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG)
- 11. N’Golo Kante (Chelsea/FRA)
- 12. Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain/BRA
- 13. Luis Suarez (Barcelona/URU)
- 14. Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea/Real Madrid/BEL)
- 15. Paul Pogba (Manchester United/FRA)
- 16. Sergio Aguero (Manchester City/ARG)
- =17. Gareth Bale (Real Madrid/WAL)
- =17. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid/FRA)
- =19. Roberto Firmino (Liverpool/BRA)
- =19. Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona/CRO)
- =19. Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid/ESP)
- =22. Edinson Cavani (Paris Saint-Germain/URU)
- =22. Sadio Mane (Liverpool/SEN)
- =22. Marcelo (Real Madrid/BRA)
- =25. Alisson Becker (Roma/Liverpool/BRA)
- =25. Jan Oblak (Atletico Madrid/SLO)
- =25. Mario Mandzukic (Juventus/CRO)
- 28. Diego Godin (Atletico Madrid/URU)
- =29. Hugo Lloris (Tottenham/FRA)
- =29. Isco (Real Madrid/ESP)